Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ever Have to "Eat Your Words?"

Remember Granny Glasses?  Wire rims?  If I go back in time and try to catalog my life eating my words chronologically, that's the first one that comes to mind.  "Who the hell would ever wear those things?  They make you look like an old woman."  Hence the name.  I probably held out for a year or so but then I was sportin' a pair myself.  Feeling all John Lennon-like . . . cuz he wasn't a granny, right? So it was ok then.
Speaking of John Lennon.  I remember like it was yesterday dancing with a guy (I'm sure he was drop-dead handsome although I can't recall exactly who it was) at The Note to "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and saying something very regrettable like "I don't think this song is going to go anywhere."  Can I call 'em or what?
Next came crop pants.  I know I'm skipping decades but the 80s and 90s are like a big black hole for some reason.  Anyhoo - crops pants.  Hello, they hit you at a very unflattering part of your leg!  And - can you say "clam diggers?"  or "peddle pushers?"  I wore those things when I was 9 years old for cryin' out loud.  Yeah, I was going through clothes for Florida they other day and I counted around 11 pair.  Love 'em! Like my friend, Kathi, says, "Ellen, crop pants are our friends."
Lastly, although I'm sure there are many, many more instances of eating my words because I haven't even addressed "foot in mouth" examples, are Crocs.  People, do you realize that you're wearing clown shoes?????
I could not imagine putting those rubber things on my feet - until I did.  I will not tell you how many pairs I have in my closet right now.  Let's just say that I quickly turned into a "Croc Whore."  'nuf said.

3 comments:

  1. You are hilarious Ellen!

    I remember when I was 13 we all wore the widest bootleg style pants ever, atleast 50cm wide legs! I laughed out loud when the bootlegs came back in fashion 30 years later together with the hipsters, but I have a cuboard full of them now and slowly the bootlegs are going out of fashion again.... and those dreaded skinny pants are in and boy it just does not look good!
    I held out on those horrible crocs, yuk!

    Astrid :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, it's a good thing I have thick skin, Astrid, or I would have taken your "horrible crocs" comment to heart. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Astrid, Ellen is hilarious and has always kept me laughing ... could hardly finish reading the above blog of "eat your words" because I was laughing hysterically ... personally have resisted the crocs so far .... but LOVE the skinny jeans ... can we say "muffin tops" are the new rage ???

    ReplyDelete