Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Beach = Bathing Suit and Other Things

First off - we're really not beach people.  Used to be - well, at least I was.  I could sit on the beach in South Haven, MI for hours and just veg.  I always had on a hat, though, and in later years spent almost all of my time under an umbrella.
My parents bought a cottage in South Haven in the early 70s and we were there every weekend and then some for many, many years. The last few years before mom sold it, though, we never seemed to make the walk down to the sand.
So, here we are in Destin, FL where the white sand beaches are famous.  The first week or so was not warm enough for me to even think about checking those beaches out but yesterday was the day so off we went.
There were a few other people there too.  This picture does NOT capture the number of people that were sitting and playing in the area.  Most of them were "hard bodies", I might add.
The waves were fun and the water temp was perfect.  The sand is truly white.  It couldn't have been better - unless . . .
I hadn't had to struggle into the suit.  What the heck was I thinking when I bought that thing with the wonky straps?  I swear there should be instructions on how the hell to get into the thing.  There were several tries and some swearing before the fete was finally accomplished.
When we used to frequent the beach years ago, we always sat in beach chairs.  We didn't have any beach chairs yesterday.  We only had towels.  That meant we had to sit on the towels.  That meant we had to get down onto and back up from the towels.  Not as easy as it used to be.  Neither one of us wanted to do the "old person roll onto our knees" in order to get up.  It was humiliating.  Also exhausting - all that sucking in of the stomach while we walked down the beach next to all those hard bodies.
When all was said and done, we decided it was a lot of fun and we will definitely go back - hopefully several times before we return to MI.  There will be a quick trip to a store so we can buy some beach chairs, though.
I was going to add the video I took of the water doing its thing but it took for friggin' ever when I put it on Facebook yesterday and I just don't have the patience to do that again.  Take my word for it - fabu!










3 comments:

  1. We went to South Haven yesterday...to shop and stroll the beach. It was near 80 and gorgeous. However, I think you have us beat on water temps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other amazing thing I saw (because the water is so dang clear) is when the waves would go over people, you could SEE the people INSIDE the wave. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete