Wednesday, March 7, 2012

An Old Shoe

Remember my entry about the "jeans"?  You've read them all right?  Hello?  I didn't hear you???  Oh, never mind, I know you have.  Yes, you have.
Anyway, referring back to the "jeans" entry.  Remember I said those favorite jeans were comfy like a pair of old slippers? Well, actually, I believe I said "shoes" but you get my drift.
Well, I'll make the comparison today with friends.  I love meeting new people - but I love my "old" friends a whole lot.
Here's one of them right now.  Hi, Jane!  (insert enthusiastic wave)
That's her husband, Tom, and there's mine.  Petey.  I've talked about him before here but don't believe I've ever shown his face - he's in Witness Protection so, shhhhhhhh.
Anyway, Jane, and I met at 6th grade camp - right, Jane?  There are 4 elementary schools in Allegan and we went to different ones so, of course, we never crossed paths until our schools joined forces at camp.  I don't remember it being cold so it was probably spring.  Although spring in MI could easily still have 3 ft of snow on the ground so who knows.
The way I remember it, I made fast friends with Jane, Patty and Liz - the West Ward girls.
Jane and I double-dated to the prom our sophomore year - WITH SENIORS!!!  Were we cool or what?
We were cheerleaders together for several years.  Funny story: many years after we'd graduated from high school, Jane and I were looking at the old year book together.  There was a fantastico picture of us, mid-air, doing this really cool jump.  At the same time, we both pointed at the picture, noticing for the first time that Jane was doing it backward. hahahaha.  That's the way I remember the story, anyhoo.
Spending time with Jane is effortless.  We have all that history behind us, reference points don't need to be explained.  We pick up right where we left off even though we only see each other a few times a year.
Yesterday we met for lunch with our husbands (refer to the pic above if you need to be refreshed) here in FL - even though we only live about 10 miles apart back in MI.
Jane is one of only 2 childhood friends I have left (Hi, Joy).  As my mother-in-law used to say, "you're a very lucky person if you have a very good friend.  I count myself one lucky gal.

No comments:

Post a Comment