Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Are You Saying "Two Thousand or Twenty?"

Remember the big hoopla for the new millennium?  We said the year was "two thousand."  We, at least I, kept on saying "two thousand one, two thousand two" and so on.  But back in the early 1900s (not that I was there) they said "nineteen oh one, nineteen fifteen."  They didn't say "one thousand, nine hundred twelve."
I'm not saying we should have started out with saying "twenty" - that wouldn't make any sense at all, would it?
Saying "twenty oh one" sounded weird, though, so I felt more comfortable saying "two thousand one."
Now that we're past 2010 I'm getting more comfortable with the whole "twenty" thing but I haven't actually said it out loud yet.  I need to practice a bit more before I go public with it.
The same dilemma exists in Sign Language.  I keep asking my Deaf clients if they're signing "two thousand" or "twenty."  It's running about 50/50 at this point.
So?  What do you say?

4 comments:

  1. I would say 2 thousand 1,2 etc up to 9 just sounds weird to say 20.. 9

    I think now that we are past the single digits I say 20..10,11,12 etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslye Wilson BursonApril 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM

    Twenty-twelve !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you Ellen, Twenty twelve rolls off the tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visually I'm going with YEAR + 2-0-12 etc.

    ReplyDelete