Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Second Sunday Benefit Concerts


 Every month, on the second Sunday, the Presbyterian Church holds a benefit concert.  They pass the plate and 90% of the money collected goes directly to a local non-profit group/agency.


If you know me or have been reading along for a while you know I'm not a "church-y" gal so even though these concerts have been going on for a number of years, we didn't start attending until two or so years ago.  Being a skeptic, I figured it was some sort of plot to reel us into church.  Turns out that is not the goal.  Go figure.


This is Sally.  She is the "go-to" gal for music.  She is an artist in procuring musicians and they all say the same thing when they get underway:  "we love coming here!"  We love hearing them, too.


This is the group that played for us recently.  Big Boss Blues.  Every group plays for one hour and they are paid from an endowment fund that the church has.  I mentioned the 90% non-profit thing; the 10% goes back into the endowment so the musicians get some $$$$ too.




Afterward when you're all clapped out, you go downstairs for "church" food.  What a deal!!!


Most of the time the music is the Blues which is right up my alley.  Give these guys a listen.


This is the part I don't understand - where the heck (notice I didn't say "hell"; I'm trying to be a good girl) is everyone???????????  Fabulous music right here in downtown Allegan.  It only lasts an hour and then they feed you.  Hello, people, you're missing it.  Puzzles me.
.

I forgot to take a picture of the bar down the street - Bubba's - but that's where we go for a bite to eat afterward and then dessert at the gas station.  We are nothing if not classy.


Not only did we get our ice cream at the gas station but then we sat at a picnic table in one of the city parking lots to enjoy said ice cream.  Y'all know how I love to sit and wave at cars.  We weren't embarrassed even a little bit.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Sal, for being the "go-to" music gal.

      Delete
  2. Having lived around the corner for 10 years, I always wanted to go and never did. Thanks for the enlightenment!

    ReplyDelete