Monday, October 15, 2012

Pumpkin carving competition


 Let the planning begin.  Michael is no stranger to pumpkin carving although it's been a while.  Rena, on the other hand, is a complete "newbie."  See how she's checking out his pre-planning sketch?  Game on!
 

I was surprised to see how Rena made that first cut for her pumpkin lid.  I was never that creative; mine was always a boring circular thing. 


Here they are drawing in the all-important design.  Another thing I never did.  Who needs a plan?  Grab the knife and start cutting!  This younger generation, I tell ya.
  




 Peter brought out a little kit with small carving utensils; I brought out the kitchen knives.


 Don't let their smiles fool you, the competition was fierce.  See how Rena peeled off the teeth of her pumpkin above?  When I complimented her on the idea, Michael tried to see what we were talking about.  Rena guarded her creation like a mother bear protects her young cub.



 Michaels' finished product.  I see some teeth-peeling going on here.  Must be he did peek.


 Rena's.  Notice the blood?  Pretty cool for a "newbie" eh?


 All lit up.  hmmmm, who do you think deserves first prize?


2 comments:

  1. They are both outstanding pumpkins.. How nice that you have Mike and Rena visiting. Enjoy your time with them. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I love these - Glad I get to see them in person soon

    ReplyDelete