Sunday, January 13, 2013

Another short one about words.

Last weekend Petey and I were dining at our local pub.  Ok, maybe "pub" doesn't exactly fit but sometimes I like to pretend I'm in another country.

We were downtown at Bubba's.  Now that Michigan is smoke free we love Bubba's.

There were a few guys sitting at the bar, a couple next to us at a table, a family at a table at the far end of the bar and a three guys sitting near the door.

One of the guys at the bar was getting rather colorful with his language.  We have already established that I am not a prude but there's a time and a place.  The server reminded him to dial it down a few times and you could tell he wasn't being gratuitous; it was just part of who he was.  I was impressed that he apologized to the family that was sitting nearby.

That guy I could deal with.  The woman who came in a few minutes before we left and joined the couple next to us?  Not so much.  She dropped the F-bomb constantly.  And I mean constantly.  

She'd obviously been drinking before she came into the bar and she had a black eye.  I'm not advocating fisticuffs but I was ready to pop her one myself.

Thankfully we already had our bill and were leaving.  She was extremely annoying, her friends did nothing to reroute her language and she was totally oblivious to her surroundings.

So, what would you have done?  What if you'd just entered as well and had the misfortune to sit near Miss Potty-mouth?  Would you have asked her, politely, to refrain from swearing?  Moved to another table?  

It's an uncomfortable situation; particularly these days with everyone toting a gun around.    

No comments:

Post a Comment