Thursday, January 10, 2013

Job parameters

Most of you know that I'm a Sign Language interpreter.  For those who don't - here's a quick recap.

I worked for the public education system in various schools for many years and retired in 2006.  That didn't mean I was done interpreting, however.  I love the language too much to stop using it plus I worked my ass off for my credentials so I've been a freelancer since.

I work for two different agencies that send me on jobs but I set the parametersno kids for clients (it was fun while it lasted but I've moved on to adults only), no nights or weekends, no religious settings and no mental health jobs.

Well, every now and then I take a job that tugs at my heart strings and every time I do, it reminds me why I don't take mental health jobs!  It's too much.  Too draining.  It reminds me of the heartache that went hand-in-hand all too often when I worked for the school system.

As I leave those jobs I want to drive directly to a place that sells big-ass chocolate chips cookies and buy 2 . . . or 6.  It's either that or cry and I hate how my eyelids puff up when I cry so it's cookies for me.

Then I make myself promise I'll turn down the next mental health job.  What do you think the chances are that I'll actually do that?  

No comments:

Post a Comment