Sunday, April 21, 2013

Porches

This blog is a "bitch and showcase" blog.  As I walk around Allegan with Augie I notice a lot.  A lot more than I used to for sure.

I've done blogs about our beautiful churches and the detailing on many of our houses and commercial buildings.

Now I'd like to show you a few of the porches that caught my attention on our morning walk.

Right across the street from me.

Two doors down.

Side porch of the house down the block, on the corner.

Front porch of the same house.

Screened in porch.  I have seen the gentleman that lives in this house barbequing in there so the skeeters don't nip at his delicate skin.

Double your pleasure.  Doesn't the one on top just cry out for water balloons?

Swinging horses on this wrap-around.  How cool is that?

I love the partial enclosure of this one.  You could sit out there in the morning with your coffee and if you slouched down, just a little bit, people couldn't tell that you were still in your jammies.  And check out the sleeping porch on the side.

Plenty o' room on this one for ice tea and pretzels in the afternoon.  I happen to know that other beverages are served on this particular porch as well. hehe

Another wrap-around.  Isn't it grand?

This porch is outstanding although my picture doesn't do it justice.  If you go back into my blog and look for the one on the Delano Inn, it is showcased much better.

I actually lived in this house when I was a kid although I don't remember it.  I like to picture myself running back and forth on it in my diaper and socks waving at the people who were entering the church across the street.  Classy.

Drinking lemonade and eating cucumber sandwiches (yuck, did people really eat those?) on this porch.  That's what I'm thinking; I'd probably have a bologna sammie, though.

I've seen more than one social gathering take place here.  Right around the corner from us.

If you sit on this front porch, you can watch the entire world go through Allegan.  It gets a little noisy at times and the diesel fumes might make you sneeze but you can always relocate . . .

to the side porch.

Hey - who lives here?  Must be classy people.  Check out the swing.  Very high quality.

Another lovely screened in side porch down the street.
 Remember what I said at the beginning of this blog?  Go ahead and scroll back up if you've forgotten.  I'll wait.

Yes, that's right.  I said "bitch and showcase."  The showcasing is done and I hope you enjoyed it but here comes the bitching portion.

You saw only a handful of beautiful porches here in town; there are a lot more.  There are also way too many porches that could be beautiful but their beauty can not be seen for the crap.  

Boxes, lumber, snow shovels (in June), broken down furniture, etc.  I could go on and on but it breaks my heart to see them in such a state.  It's very difficult for me to understand the lack of pride some people have in their residences.  This is where you live!  Such a shame. 

I feel much better now.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment