Thursday, April 25, 2013

Scissors and forks

If you remember milk being delivered to your house in glass bottles, you'll be able to easily relate to this topic.

We've come a long way in packaging.  If you're young, you might need to do a search on glass milk bottles so you can see how far the packaging people have come over the past 60 years or so.

I don't remember having a difficult time getting the top off that old glass bottle but I'm sure having a helluva time getting that plastic ring off the new one.  My "grip and twist" isn't what it used to be.  Hence - the fork.  I like to think I'm the first person to come up with this brilliant idea but probably not.  Let me live with that thought, though.  Please.

Insert a fork tine between that pesky ring and the cap, apply a small amount of pressure and tilt the fork up and off it comes!  Tada!

Now for the scissors.  The biggest PIA is the cereal bag.  Not the box - the bag inside.  What the heck are they making that thing out of anyway?  You used to be able to tear it or pull it apart but a research group somewhere came up with a material that makes it impossible to open without SCISSORS!

The same tool can be applied to the potato chip bags.

Whenever I encounter a bag, box or carton that requires a tool to open, I think of the elderly.  How the heck are they dealing with this stuff?  I guess I'll ask my mom this afternoon.  Stay tuned for her answer.    

No comments:

Post a Comment