Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Outdoor music at its best!

There's a little town west of here (Fennville, for those of you unfamiliar with the area) that hosts top notch music in their park every summer - every other Tuesday evening.

We've attended most of them and have never been disappointed in the quality of what we've seen and heard.

Last night was no exception when Sister Wilene (sisterwilene.com) took the stage.  The group was billed as vintage country which didn't thrill me as I'm not really a country fan.  Also the fact that they were called sister gave me pause.  Was it going to be all about What a friend we have in Jesus?  No, indeed.  Nothing what I expected.  No annoying twang and JC was never mentioned.

I was entertained completely!  The voices!  The lyrics!  The musicianship!!!

Let's set the scene.


It's a cozy, comfy park with plenty o' room.

Even a place for the kidlets to play.














The "MC."  That's also the lead guitar guy (Roger Brown)  behind him; the best picture I got of him.

Sister Wilene.  I never got the origin of the name.


Joe Wilson.  Amazing!

The dobro and steel guitar were OUTSTANDING!
Excellent bass.  Kevin Gills



The guitar pics are for any musicians reading this blog; thought they'd appreciate a few close-ups.


The drummer (Roger Tarczon) always gets over-looked.  Stuck in the back.

Mary Sue Wilkinson; crystal clear voice.  The other fantastico thing about this group is their harmonies.  Mary Sue and Roger Brown are like a hot knife through butter.  Often times, Joe Wilson pipes in and rounds out wonderful 3-part.  Also individual solos had my toes tapping and then swaying slowly in my lawn chair.  AND, (I'm almost done), Roger Brown's original songs were, on the one hand, fun and silly and then very thought-provoking.
Here's the schedule

We've seen Edye and she's great.

We saw Madcat (on the right) last summer; harp player extraordinaire.

Latin music?  Oh, yeah, I'll be there!

Any group with "flatbellys" in the name is a must-see in my book.

If you're in the area and have the time - you really need to check out the entertainment.  Go early and eat - there are 4 or 5 local joints for your dining pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment