Monday, September 2, 2013

School starts tomorrow.

Well, at least here, it does.  It's been 7 years since I retired and I have finally lost that yucky/sad feeling I always got, sitting on the beach, thinking about going back to school.

Don't get me wrong - I loved my job - most of the time.  I had the opportunity to work with deaf kids and, hopefully, ease learning for them.

I'll never forget one of the highlights of my career was interpreting Where the Red Fern Grows in Marilyn Peet's 5th grade classroom.  She always read chapter books to the kids.

I was unfamiliar with the story but I could tell I was doing a kick-ass job communicating the tale by the enthralled look on the student's face.

My years working for the public education system also brought me new friends and co-workers.  I spent time in classrooms with some fantastic teachers.  I worked with wonderful interpreters.  I liked almost all of the administrators.

School starts tomorrow and all I can think of is that also means the cool nights of fall will soon be upon us.  Like last night - windows open listening to the tree frogs or whatever the hell was making that night sound.  

To all my school friends still out there fighting the good fight I say, onward.  Teach those little rug rats sumpin'. 

1 comment:

  1. I can just see the delight on their little faces. I always wished that I had learned to sign. Good job, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete