Sunday, May 24, 2015

Did you save room for dessert?

Petey and I were dining out recently - I know - shockeroo, right? - and I noticed something that I've noticed before but it's starting to bug me - just a little bit.

The meal was good.  The ambiance was to our liking and when it was apparent that we had finished the grub (made obvious by the sparkling clean plates) the server brought our check.

Um.  Aren't you going to ask if we'd like to see the dessert menu?

Was it a judgement call on the server's part?

"Those older folks at my table don't look like they should have something sweet so late in the evening."

"The people at my table look like they've been over-served from the dessert column one too many times.  I'll do them a favor by not tempting them tonight.  Aren't I a kind-hearted server?"

It doesn't happen often but often enough to make me wonder if they're just in a hurry to get us the hell out of their section because we're not drinkers and the check isn't going to be a fat one hence a small tip?

Why wouldn't they want to pump up the bottom line?

We weren't asked last night so we just stopped elsewhere for our fix.

So there!

No comments:

Post a Comment