Monday, August 17, 2015

Three boys and three girls

A week ago I had the pleasure of spending a little time with these guys.





The Purkey brothers.  It wasn't planned, it just happened which made it even more special.  Bob, on the left, lives in Canada.  Stewart, in the middle lives in Wisconsin and Tim (the baby) lives in the Grand Rapids area.  

They were in town doing a "drive down memory lane" and I was  hanging out on the river front with Augie.

As we stood near the water of our home town and chatted I was over come with memories.

Our parents were very, very good friends.  My sisters and I adored them.  As a matter of fact, Lisa and I told our mother that if anything ever happened to them, we wanted to live with Laura and "Purk."  We didn't think it all the way through, however.  What would it be like to live in a house with THREE BOYS???

Then I started thinking about the "three boys theme."

When we were very young we lived across the street from the three Irwin boys.

Then mom and dad built a house up near the hospital and we lived across from the three Curlin boys.

Besides loving Laura Purkey, we also loved Scotty Irwin who made the best fudge in the world and adored Carol Curlin who let us (me?) come over and glaze pottery.  

Funny - I don't remember any families with just three daughters.  That makes the Brachman girls very special, right?

There are no more Purkeys, Curlins or Irwins living here in Allegan.  That makes me sad but I still have the memories.

Shining flashlights across the street to the Irwin house hoping one of those cute boys would signal back.

Hearing David Curlin singing a Glen Yarborough song outside one night.

Trying to TP Stewart Purkey's house before he TP'd mine. 

Ahhh, the good old days.

No comments:

Post a Comment