Wednesday, December 9, 2015

A Sign Language Interpreter gets dressed

As many of you already know, I'm a Sign Language interpreter.  I've been rockin' this gig for many, many years.

What you probably don't know is that 'terps don't have a wide variety of choices when it comes to getting dressed for work.

We kid about standing at the open closet door saying "hmmmm what'll I wear today?  Yellow stripes?  No.  Hot pink polka-dots?  Can't happen.  I guess I'll wear something in solid black."

Part of our Code of Ethics includes professional attire.  The "professional" part I take with a grain of salt.  I call myself "the casual interpreter" in that I don't own a suit and haven't worn a dress or skirt . . . well, ever.

I'm a slack/pants, shirt/sweater kinda gal.

The reason for black clothing (it can also be navy blue, dark green or brown - as long as it's solid and contrasts with your skin color) is to provide a good background for your hands.

These are taking up about a third of my closet.



Because of my crappy lighting, they look gray but they're not.  Black all the way.

Now, just to break up the monotony I like to occasionally throw in some jazzy socks to keep myself from going crazy or being mistaken for someone working in the funeral biz.



So if you're local folk and see me walking Augie around town clad completely in black (unless I have my coolio socks on) you'll know I'm heading out for a job immediately afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment