Sunday, September 18, 2016

Only one ass at the gate

Gotcha, didn't I.  You're like "what the heck is this one going to be about?"

As many of you know, I work at the main gate of our county fair. This is my 11th year and I really enjoy it.  When it's not crazy busy I take the time to have fun with the fair-goers.  There's a lot of razzing that goes on - both ways.

When it's slow - usually in the early mornings - I entertain myself watching the black squirrels cross the street in front of me.  So far I have never had to witness a squirrel death.

This year I wondered if I was seeing the same squirrel cross back and forth out there or if it was several from the same squirrel camp. And my other question was - what the hell are they doing?  They're not transporting nuts.  I never saw a one.  Then it occurred to me that it might just be their form of morning exercise.  
Squirrel Jazzercise.

Back to the title.  There are a lot of animals at our county fair but this blog isn't about them.  Surprised?  Of course you're not.

Over the years I have encountered some rotten apples at the gate.  Over all I would venture to say that 99% of the people that I see are great but, you know, there's always a few.  I try to not let them ruin my day and I've gotten pretty good at that.

This year I only had one ass come through.  The fact that it was only one amazes me and left me pretty darned contented when the 9 days came to a close yesterday.

The "ass" experience was countered by darling children - one blew kisses to me - wonderful old vets on Veterans Day, vendors who considered themselves stand-up comedians and my co-workers.

All and all, it was a great fair.  Oh, yeah, you'll be proud to know that I only got my favorite Gibby fries twice and I shared them (not a quality I'm known for) both times.

'til next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment