Monday, May 21, 2018

Life with braces


 A handful of years ago a "used to be close friend,"  Tom Richmond mentioned the fact that it looked like I was missing a tooth.  Right up front. 

Up until that moment I will honestly tell you that I never noticed.  After my "used to be close friend's" comment, I was obsessed.

I started looking at all the photos of me and damn if he wasn't right.  I hate it when he's right.

I talked to my dentist about it and we discussed a few things - bonding and braces - and neither one sounded good.

Braces at my age?  I think not.

My dentist used that phrase every person over 50 hates:  as we age.
Yup, "as we age" our teeth start shifting forward!  That movement causes crowding and something's gotta give.

The crowding caused that small tooth to the right of my middle uppers to fade backwards. I know there are dental-specific names for these guys but I'm too lazy to ask Petey who was a dental technician in the Coast Guard. Anyway, that movement was only going to continue which meant that at some point everyone would lose sight of that once good looking tooth.

You know which one I'm talking about, right?

Dr.Seiferly referred me to Dr.Shannon, the orthodontist after explaining that the clear braces had come a long way.

Dr.Shannon has his own clear braces called SO Clear.

Easy process and here I am almost a year later very happy.

I might let Mr.Richmond back into my good graces after he showers me with compliments. I'm sure he's also expecting a big fat THANK YOU.


before

after
Dr.Shannon





These are the "trays."  

You change weekly and wear them for 20-ish hours a day.
No wires - no pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment