Friday, May 4, 2018

Twenty year bead obsession

I made glass beads for many years.  I started in March of '98.

I loved making glass beads.  I learned sooooo much from online friends and "real life" friends like Robin, Dilly, Janie and Nancy.

The glass rods came in so many colors and combining colors for a new color was fascinating.

About four years ago I decided to change over to making paper beads.  A whole different process but still the same feel of love for the bead.

It's been fun experimenting with different kinds of paper: sheet music, Christmas wrap, old catalogs and calendars and my secret obsession (although I've posted so much about it I don't think it's a secret anymore), Cavallini paper.

I tried many different crafty things before beads came into my life but none of them stuck like beads.

Truth be told, I kinda sucked at the other things so I'm still thanking my lucky stars the beads showed up.

The other thing I'm so thankful for is that glass came to me when I needed it most.  My best friend, Sue Lange, died in October of '97.
I was at a loss.  My world stopped.  Life began to move again (slowly) when I started melting glass.

Because of glass, I made new friends.  None, of course, would ever take her place but they filled the void - a bit.

So, twenty years making beads.  It's been a hoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment